Henrico, VA asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: Owner wants to install a French drain 2 weeks before we move. Huge mess, lots of noise. Do I have any rights?

We’ve been here for 4 years and have a lot of stuff in the garage. We go back and forth in the garage, have a dog, and homeschool one of our kids. This will be a noisy, messy situation. He simply doesn’t want to have to live with it being done when he moves back into the house. We have so much going on. Starting this work in the middle and side of the yard is going to be so intrusive. Do I have any legal recourse?

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The tenant has a right pursuant to the common law covenant if quiet enjoyment to not be disrupted by the landlord or its agent during the term of the lease. Your recourse is to sue the landlord and seek a temporary restraining order until the lease term end.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.