Rutherfordton, NC asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: My son went to live with his dad two years ago, will he have to pay me the back due child support?

Due to an emergency change in custody, my two year old son went to live with his dad almost two years ago. I have not seen my child since. It was court ordered that he pay me $400 a month when I had our son and since he got him, it’s still court ordered he pay me. The arrears of child-support is over $15,000 now. Will he have to pay me this money and how could he stop the child support order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: What? Of course he doesn't owe you any money. $15,000? What kind of gorilla math is this? Is the 'juice' still running? $400 a month for two years is $9,600 - which you likely ought to owe to the father. If the child went to live with the father two years ago and the child is two years old - father can not possibly be very much in arrears. Definately not to the tune of $15K. You don't seriously believe you are entitled to child support while you didn't have the child - do you? You should be paying the father child support. If you aren't, count yourself lucky and disregard the month or two that you didn't get your $400.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.