Beverly Hills, FL asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Connecticut

Q: I wasnt allowed to submit a police report as evidence in a civil case. Judge said it wasnt "certified". What is?

I couldn't afford an attorney, I filed a civil case pro se. The police report was the "smoking gun" and had the facts. The judge would not allow it as evidence because it was not "certified". I contacted that police department, they are unaware of what a "certified police report is". I spoke with a friend that was the Asst. Chief of Police, he says its "certified" once signed by the supervisor. I lost the case over this, if the police department doesn't know how to "certify" the report... what can you do?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Welcome to the world of civil litigation, where having a skilled trial lawyer often makes the difference between losing and winning. Teaching point: Regardless of what the official document is, "the smoking gun" notwithstanding, most courts will not allow introduction of any document (because it is hearsay) unless it is the original, or is certified by the originating state or local agency as a conformed copy of the original, or is allowed into evidence by the opposing side.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.