Washington, DC asked in Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: what is the statue/ time period you have to settle a personal injury claim for an auto accident in the state of GA

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Peter N. Munsing

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: I believe it's two years. Why not contact a member of the Ga Trial Lawyers Assn in the county where the wreck happened? They give free consults.

Jeb Butler

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Most of the time, the answer is two years. But it depends on several things.

The general two-year rule comes from the Georgia law addressing "injuries to the person," which is O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33 (you can Google it). In most cases, that means that after two years have passed since the collision, you can no longer file the case. Since you can't file it anymore, most insurance companies won't agree to settle the case after that date either, since there's nothing you can do about it if they refuse.

Sometimes, there are shorter deadlines. For instance, if your case is against the State of Georgia, it must usually be filed under the Georgia Tort Claims Act, which means you must give the state notice of your claim (called an "ante litem" notice) in a very particular way within one year of the injury, or your case will be thrown out of court. O.C.G.A. § 50-21-26(a)(1). If your case is against a city, the ante litem deadline could be as short as six months. O.C.G.A. § 36-33-5(b).

Other times, the statute of limitations is paused, or "tolled," such that the deadline to file the case is extended. One common reason for extension is O.C.G.A. § 9-3-99, which provides that if the person at fault was charged with a crime, or could have been charged with a crime, then the statute of limitations is "tolled" from the commission of the crime until the date that the prosecution for the crime is final, as long as that time period doesn't exceed six years. In other circumstances, if a minor was injured, the statute of limitations for the minor may be "tolled" until the minor reaches 18 years old, at which point it begins to run. O.C.G.A. § 9-3-90(b).

I hope this answer has been helpful, and I hope you've still got time!

Justin T. Jones agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.