Redondo Beach, CA asked in Probate for California

Q: How do I get my hearing date for status report modified to include Petition for final distribution?

My father died 5 days before my mother. I am sole beneficiary and a personal representative of my mother's estate. I have filed a spousal property petition for my fathers assets to go to my mother's estate. As it was necessary to wait for these assets to transfer to my mother's estate I filed a status report requesting more time to complete the probate. At the spousal property petition hearing the judge granted the petition and then authorized me to (in the event that I was able to prepare the petition for final distribution for my mother's estate before the status report hearing date) to instruct the clerk to

use the upcoming hearing date for the status report for that of petition for final distribution.

How exactly do I ask or word this to the filing clerk? Or do I fill in the hearing date myself when I am filing the petition for final distribution? I am not sure if this is common practice and can't remember exactly the terminology that the judge used.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Samuel Price
Richard Samuel Price
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You would fill in the hearing date and then put in your filing that the judge said it was okay to set the same hearing date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.