Silver Spring, MD asked in DUI / DWI for Maryland

Q: I have a public defender for a DUI case I do not feel they are acting in my best interest can I get a postponement to c

They have had no contact with me since I qualified so I went in on my own volition can you find out what's going on could not get much information. I do not feel that they are acting in my best interest is there anyway I can get a postponement to change counsel and if so how do I do that

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you can afford to retain a private lawyer, and make at least a substantial down payment on their fee, then the lawyer can request the postponement to allow more time to prepare the case. That will give you the time needed to pay the balance of the fee. You will need to call around to find a lawyer you are comfortable with and can afford.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.