Chicago, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: Can we obtain a modified order based on birth of new children?

My husband has a current child support order for $862/mth for 2 children. The oldest son who is 18 is about to finish high school & we were told he needs to submit a modified order. Three months ago we had twins & we wanted to know if the new addition can be factored in the new order? We understand the amount should be dropped to possibly half but now with the new addition any help will be great. A note on this is that the youngest is biologically not my husband's & he was basically stuck paying child support since she was born during the marriage. He found out the truth when she was 10 & he divorced the mother a few years later.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: As long as the court order says he is the father and is not changed, he has to pay child support for her.

Use this Illinois child support estimator to see how much the child support could be:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.