Abilene, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: My 13 year old's mother kicked him out on the 5th. We do not have primary custody of him, How do I begin?

He resides in Tarrant county and we live in Taylor county. His mother would be the kind of person that will not give up custody if it means she has to give up the child support. However we need to be able to enroll him in school and get him on insurance. He does have some ADD problems and she has not had him on meds in months. She has had him on psych meds instead. She also took him out of public school this year to home school him and it has not been going well. He was very behind even before he was home schooled. I have called the police in my home town to notify them of the situation. But of course this is a civil matter. So I am just curious where I need to start to petition for primary custody.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Consult with an attorney who is able to assist you in the county where the order was last pending. Explain this situation and consider modifying the order with the attorney's assistance. Good luck 888-343-4529.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.