Portland, OR asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Oregon

Q: Should we stop K1 (fiance visa) and start F1/J1 (student) visa when petitioner is under criminal investigation?


My fiance has filed a petition for me to come to the US to marry. We are now a month away from the fiance visa interview in my home country (Vietnam). He is now under criminal investigation. Likely he may be arrested in July 2019. We are now considering to cancel the K1 - fiance visa and I may file for student visa to come to the US, because we are worried about me will be deported if I came to the US with K1 visa and file for Adjustment of status to get a green card when he would be arrested/convicted before this process will be done. However, he may never be arrested at all.

We spend over 10 months with ton of paper work to come to this interview appointment. We appreciate any advice and would like to have appointments with a lawyer whom we can trust to help us with this situation.

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: We cannot recommend that you come to the US on either of those visas unless you have a legitimate claim to either one.

There is nothing that would necessarily keep you from coming on a K-1 visa, unless the crime for which might be convicted involved sexual abuse. If not, he can still file the I-129F, you can go the interview and come to the US. There are some complicating factors, certainly; however, we recommend you speak with an immigration attorney before you rule the K-1 visa out entirely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.