Lincoln Park, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: my husband's grandmother lert a will. Upon her passing her surviving son & daughter will split the house . On her decis

to sell my husband's mother passed so in the will it says her part goes to her child. Now the brother passed and his part go to his children. he has 3 but only 2 he is on the birth certificate. they are trying to leave out the 3rd child. can she get a dna to stand for her right and part

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Trent Harris

  • Probate Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Under Michigan’s Estates and Protected Individuals Code, a child is also defined as someone with whom the parent had an openly acknowledged parent-child relationship which continued until death of the parent. The 3rd wouldn’t necessarily have to have a DNA test or birth certificate to prove she has the right to inherit from the parent’s estate. You, or the 3rd child, should talk to a qualified lawyer in your area who can help in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.