Roaring River, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: I think my ex is going to file for temporary custody of our child if she does and gets it will I get papers notifying me

We live in Wilkes County NC

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela McIlveen
Angela McIlveen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes, you will receive a copy of the paperwork. If this is a new custody case, then she will file a complaint for custody which may include a motion for temporary custody. The complaint will either be served by the sheriff or by certified mail. You can call the sheriff's department and ask if they are trying to serve you. Also, be sure you pick up any mail from the post office. You will have to sign the green card if they serve you by mail.

If the complaint for custody has already been filed and served on you, then all other motions will be mailed to you by regular mail.

If you are concerned she may try to play a game and not follow the rules, it would be wise to check the courthouse to see if anything has been filed. You can also provide your address the court so that any court notices will be sent to the correct address.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.