Jacksonville, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I’m an immigrant, just have got married and want to change my last name. How can I do it?

One more question. We are applying for a green card as well. So do I need to change my last name before submitted the application?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you are referring to changing your surname (family/last name), you can identify your married surname as your current surname. There are typically boxes on the immigration forms for "other names used", wherein you would list your name before marriage. The USCIS Adjudicator's Field Manual (AFM) provides at Chapter 51.4(a): "A married woman may choose a legal married name (husband’s surname), a legal pre-marriage name (retention of maiden name), or any form of either (e.g., hyphenated name, maiden name and husband’s surname) on Form I-551 and corresponding Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.) Legal documentation, such as that listed below, must be provided to support the choice. · Civil Marriage Certificate . . . ." Assuming everything goes well in your case and you are approved, the green card will be issued with your married surname (or hyphenated surname if you so choose). You may also wish to consult with a competent immigration attorney to flush out any possible issues with your case about which you are unaware.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.