Detroit, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: My mom died about two months ago in Michigan, and my sister went to Probate Court in Wayne County to live in my mom's ho

So the judge granted her the house, and I have a disabled brother that lives with my sister, the judge made her a representative of the house, so what do that means, can she sell the house since my name on it, my brother is disabled and I have guardianship of him, his name is on the house as well, I'm her sister and we have another brother as well.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Trent Harris

  • Probate Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It sounds like your sister has been appointed personal representative of the estate. Whether your sister can sell the house depends on how the house was owned by you and your deceased mother, whether it was joint tenants with right of survivorship, or whether it was tenants in common. If it was tenants in common, then the house is an asset of your mother’s estate now. Without more information, it’s hard to help you further. You should talk to an attorney to find out more.

As always, you get what you pay for. Be sure to talk to a qualified attorney about your specific situation before choosing to rely on information you get from internet discussion boards such as this one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.