Tulsa, OK asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Grandmother / DHS wanting child support after stealing my teenager

Approx Two years ago my daughter 16, was wanting to date and not finish school work. She went to her enabling grandmothers house for the weekend I demanded my daughter come back to finish her school work and they blocked my calls and moved to a different city. I went to police and they said I needed an attorney. Within a few days I was served with allegations of abuse from dhs and the public defender office. The grandmother and my daughter persuaded the judge she was in danger. Not the other kids just her. I tried defending myself and became overwhelmed. The grandmother has let her stay night with boys and things I do not allow. The judge ordered from my request family counseling. The grandmother canceled it. It’s been two years and I’ve seen my daughter a few times only when she needs something. I’ve forgiven them both but now I’m being sent papers to pay DHS / Grandmother back child support.

I went to my first hearing and explained everything. court is postponed to May 5, ‘19

1 Lawyer Answer
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bartlesville, OK

A: If the grandmother has legal guardianship, you are required to pay child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.