Claremore, OK asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: Pending FP case dismissed w/o prejudice, no jurisdiction due to a new case in another county. File 1st in which county?

a paternity/custody case was stayed until DHS closed out their deprived case in the county the mother ran off to. DNA was done & BC adding me as the father. During the 2yrs DHS had child with foster parent the mother moved several times. The most recent county wasn't even aware of the pending FP case when DHS gave child back to mother. That Judge made a final order giving her full custody and me supervised monthly visits cause I miss the hearing knowing I would easily get that modified when pending family case resumed due to all the incontempts the mother would be facing. But I never got to see that day because the clerk where mother resided didn't fax that order to be filed in the pending case even though every final order has instructions for the clerk on the last page to check if any other county has a pending case. if there's not one then they create a new FMI and file it giving them jurisdiction. So do I get dismissed case reopen 1st or get new case dismissed 1st?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bartlesville, OK

A: The court which has made a child custody determination has exclusive, continuing jurisdiction over the determination until:

1. The Court determines that neither the child, the child and one parent, nor the child and a person acting as a parent have a significant connection with the county and that substantial evidence is no longer available in the county concerning the child's care, protection, training, and personal relationships; or

2. A court of the same county or a court of another county determines that the child, the child's parents, and any person acting as a parent do not presently reside in the county that made the child custody determination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.