Manchester, PA asked in Workers' Compensation for Pennsylvania

Q: PA workers compensation headache

Two years ago I settled a workers comp claim for a back injury (herniated disc). I felt comfortable settling as my physiatrist completed a FCE and stated I could return to full duty. I started a new job, but after 8 months the pain in the back returned along with going down the left leg. My job is about 10-12 hours of bending, twisting, stooping, standing and walking. I went back to my doctor and she stated I need to file a new comp claim. She put me on restrictions. I thought I could do several jobs but the employer puts me that day on short term disability. About 4 months later my doctor reduces my restrictions and I find out the comp claim was never filed. I get a call from HR and their general counsel stating they will allow me to work under then restrictions. They finally file the claim. My boss does not follow. I was pulled from work again. The carrier is stating this is pre-existing. In fact the one rep said I should not peruse as he thinks it is fraud. Is this true?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Richard Alan Jaffe

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Based upon your fact pattern, you may have sustained an aggravation of your pre-existing lower back injury which constitutes a “new” injury for the purposes of Worker’s Compensation. Obviously, there would be issues to decide whether, or not, this is a “new” injury or a “recurrence “Of the case that you settled two years ago.

It is my recommendation that you immediately contact an Attorney Who is a Board Certified Specialist in Pennsylvania Workers comp compensation Law to discuss your rights and remedies. The initial consultation would be free of charge and most Attonreys accept cases on a Contingent Fee Basis

Timothy Belt and Alexander Palutis agree with this answer

Timothy Belt

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Kingston, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It is not fraud on your part. Your employer having submitted the claim to short term disability rather than workers' compensation is potentially a different answer. It is called an aggravation of a pre-existing condition which is considered a new injury in PA. It is very unlikely at this point that your workers' compensation claim is going to be accepted voluntarily, so stop wasting time talking to the adjuster and hire a workers' compensation attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.