Denver, CO asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Utah

Q: My mother left me all of possessions which include basically everything in the house. I'm leaving everything in place

until my father dies. My problem is that my brothers and their wives and children are stealing things from my father's house and they are the things my mother left me. I would like to charge them the replacement value of the item from the trust since I can't seem to get them to stop their stealing. I've even reported them to Elder Abuse about them raiding my father's house. Can I charge the trust with the replacement value of the items they have stolen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Hi,

I am sorry for your predicament. Who is the trustee of the trust? It is the trustee's job to safeguard the property. If they are not doing their job, then your action would be against the trustee. He or she has a fiduciary duty to possess and safeguard the property.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.