San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Can I stop Grandparent’s rights for an order already put in place 5 years ago?

My son’s dad lived with his parents with my son when he died back in 2012. My son’s grandparents took me to court for Grandparent’s rights and then mediation for shared holidays and Joint Conservators. I agreed under duress (lack of money to keep paying a lawyer) 6 years ago but a lot has changed in my life. I don’t feel I need to share my holidays as it limits what I can do with my other 2 children. I also don’t think they need any legal rights to my child. Right now it’s every other weekend, shared holidays, and a few weeks in the summer. Can I put an end to all of this? It’s starting to interfere with my own family and other children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Valley
Matthew Valley
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Talk to a local family attorney. If it’s been 6 years then there might be grounds to ask the court to modify the order in your favor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.