Okarche, OK asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: maximum amount in miles to move and fight for joint or weekends for my child.

Looking to move to try and be closer to by significant other. We both have a daughter from previous relationship. My SO has custody of her daughter. I just have weekends with mine. We live 100 miles apart and are trying to make the next move and live together. Can we meet somewhere in the middle of the cities and not exceed mile limit or is it possible to be that far away? Is it easier for her to come to me since she has majority of the custody of her daughter?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bartlesville, OK

A: No matter where you live, you can still have joint custody if a court finds that joint custody is in the best interest of the child.

If you move to a location that is more than 75 miles away from where you live now, you have to notify the opposing parent. The other parent has the right to object. The rule for notification, and the other parent's objection, is as follows:

1. If either party (“the relocating party”) intends to move his or her primary residence or intends to move the primary residence of the minor child of the parties over seventy-five (75) miles for a period of sixty (60) days or more when such move is not a temporary absence from the child’s principal residence:

A. The relocating party shall furnish the following information to the other party in accordance with the terms set out herein:

(1) the intended new address, including the specific address, if known;

(2) the new mailing address, if not the same;

(3) the home telephone number, if known;

(4) the date of the intended move or proposed relocation;

(5) a brief statement of the specific reasons for the proposed relocation of the child, if applicable; and

(6) a proposal for a revised schedule of visitation with the child, if any.

B. The relocating party shall give notice of the proposed relocation of the child or the proposed change of the party’s residence address to the other party on or before the sixtieth (60th) day before the proposed change. If the relocating party did not know and could not have reasonably known of the change in sufficient time to provide a sixty-day notice, then such party shall give notice of the change on or before the tenth (10th) day after the date that he or she knows of the change.

C. The obligation of a party to give the notices and to provide the information set out herein shall continue so long as that party is entitled to custody of, or visitation with, the child covered by this order.

D. The failure of a party to give the notices and to provide the information set out herein may result in further litigation to enforce the order, including contempt of court.

E. The failure of a party to notify of a relocation of the child may be taken into account in a modification of custody of, visitation with, possession of, or access to, the child. The Court may assess reasonable attorney fees and costs against a party who fails to give the required notice provided for herein.

F. If a party who receives notice of the intent of the other party to relocate the residence of the child does not file, within thirty (30) days of receipt of such notice, a proceeding seeking a temporary or permanent order to prevent the relocation, the relocation is authorized and may occur without further notice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.