Los Angeles, CA asked in Personal Injury for California

Q: Can I sue for the emotional distress of a four year affair in which I was lead to believe she’d leave her husband

There were never divorce papers filed

I was threatened with false allegations of physical harm if I investigated/exposed the truth ( documented )

She threatened suicide if I exposed the truth. I called police ( documented )

I myself am entering trauma center

I now am not working due breakdown

I attempted suicide

Police were called

I’ve lost work

I have a rash

I can’t sleep


I’m in therapy

I have doctors and witnesses and timeline

Via email, photo

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: first, you need to ask this question on a family law forum, not a criminal or PI forum.

you should write everything down and make appointments with some family law attorney near you.

anyone can sue at any time for anything. The issue is will you prevail and do you want to spend the money.

this is the type of matter I believe that most lawyers would only take on an hourly, not contingency.

the bottom line is, do you want to continue to throw money at her by paying a lawyer. Even if you win you probably lose unless she has the means to pay a judgment.

if you get a judgement the next issue would be collecting on it.

i think a psychologist will tell you it is better to severe the relationship and litigation will perpetuate it.

if you are to pursue this don't post things on a forum like this that are discoverable.

William John Light
William John Light
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: No, you cannot successfully sue because someone broke your heart and misled you. That happens everyday, all day, everywhere. You might be able to sue for threats of physical harm, but since no physical harm actually occurred, your damages are not very impressive. Stay in therapy. You are in the grips of depression. It does get better, but a lawsuit is not the answer based on the facts you have described.

Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman
  • Palm Springs, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your first mistake was having an affair with a married man. Morally you are at fault for all of your problems. I am sorry you are going through all of this, but I don't think justice is on your side here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.