Houston, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: What can be done if wife's ex is taking youngest of 3 girls to therapist w/o consent?

Decree states that both conservators have; the right, subject to the agreement of the other parent conservator, to consent to psychiatric and psychological treatment of the children. Ex husband took child to therapist w/o wife's knowledge or consent. Therapist office did not know my wife was biological mother and was not given copy of the decree. The actual therapist is a friend of ex husbands current wife. Therapy office was told that they dont have consent to "treat" child. Email was sent to ex husband about not consenting to treatment, twice. Continues to sneak/take child to therapy.

Is there grounds for bringing violation of court orders against ex husband?

Also can the therapist be held accountable for continuing treatment after being told that consent was not given?

Would a certified letter be the next step to inform of non consent before filing for violation/contempt?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Peak
Gary D. Peak
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Eastland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: To properly answer this question an attorney would need to read your decree to see exactly what rights each party has regarding getting mental health treatment for the child. If it solely grants that to you, you may have to file a Motion for Contempt or to Enforce with the Court to try and get the Court to stop it. Of course, they may file a Motion to Modify claiming the therapy is necessary and you aren't getting it for the child, or that the therapist thinks something is going on and child needs to live with the Ex.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.