Lufkin, TX asked in Domestic Violence, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: I filed a protective order against my husband in my county a month ago and still no status.

My husband and I live together and I'm afraid of filing for a divorce without the protection order in place. What are my options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your husband will know as soon as he is served with the protective order papers. If the prosecutor's office is too slow, you could always pay your divorce attorney to seek the protective order instead. A private attorney CAN do it, its just that most people rely on the prosecutor's office because their attorneys fees are paid by the taxpayers instead of directly by the protective order applicant.

In the event that the protective order is granted, the respondent (your husband) will be ordered to pay attorney's fees. However, his debts are your debts because you are married and Texas is a community property state ... so should really hire need a local divorce attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.