Erick, OK asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: My fiance is trying to get custody back of his son after 7 years and his sister has guardianship.

My fiance is trying to get custody back of his son after 7 years and his sister has guardianship. Initially his dad and step mom had him after going behind his back and got emergency guardianship of him. Did not notify or serve him with papers stating so. On several occasions he was told the wrong court date so he would show up and find out it was the wrong date/time. His dad gave his sister guardianship of his son and is now refusing to give him back or even let him see his son. She told him today that she is planning on adopting him and moving so that way there is no way he can get him back. He has an appointment with an attorney on monday. What can be done to stop her plans?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bartlesville, OK

A: Your fiance has a right to be notified of any hearing on an adoption without consent. At the hearing, your fiance should argue that there are no legal grounds for the sister to adopt the child.

Click here to look at the state statute:

This statute tells, under what circumstances, a child may be adopted without the consent of the father.

If the sister does not have ground to adopt the child without consent, under this statute, the court should not allow the adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.