Birmingham, AL asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: My son and ex-daughter-in -law have been divorced 4 yrs. She was ordered to pay child support and has never paid a penny

My granddaughter just turned 18 and now she is saying she doesn't have to pay. What does my son need to do to collect ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kristine Jones

  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. He needs to file for contempt, also known as "Rule Nisi" as soon as possible. The age of majority is 19 in Alabama, not 18. So, she has at least one more year to pay child support. He should seek counsel and speak with her/him about the best course of action given his specific set of circumstances. Best of luck!

Shane Michael Oncale

  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I agree with what is set forth below. I will also note that she will owe the back child support (the amount she has not paid) plus interest. This is definitely worth seeking the services of an attorney to pursue. In many jurisdiction, if it can be proven that she had income and just choose not to pay her obligation, she may also face some jail time. This is a serious matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.