Tulsa, OK asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma

Q: Can a landlord give me a write up or evict me for defending myself against an attack by another tenant?

I live in a Section 8 apartment complex and my landlord gave me a lease violation for my downstairs neighbor attacking myself and my service animal. She tried to smash her head with an ashtray and physically assaulted me then sprayed me and my dog in the face with ammonia. I was almost to the top of the stairs when she did that. She was arrested that night. She has since plead guilty. Can she really do this? And now she has people in the newly formed neighborhood watch following my husband around the property because she's itching to evict us. We also believe that she has it in for us because we are white.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Doak Willis
Doak Willis
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The answer is that you can be written up for just about any reason but the main issue is does the reason for the write up violate any provisions of Section 8 or not. Being the victim of a crime is not a legal reason for being evicted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.