Byron, IL asked in Real Estate Law for Missouri

Q: I inherited house with relative who lives there and not caring for it. Can I deed my half with no future consequences?

I live out of town. I pay the taxes and relative had agreed to pay all else. She is not and also not caring for house. I can not afford to cover for her. I do not want anything else to do with it as I feel the value of this small home decreases every month. Selling is out of question as my relative does not want to sell and has no where else to go. Will it cost me anything to do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You can transfer your ownership interest to your relative by signing a Quitclaim Deed and recording it in the county where the property is located.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.