Wareham, MA asked in Traffic Tickets for Rhode Island

Q: Charged w/ 2nd off. driving while suspended but I never have been cited or charged w/ a 1st offense..what should I do?

I was cited for driving on a suspended license - 2nd offense after another driver side swiped me. I wasn’t aware my license was suspended, the accident occurred in June 2018 and RI says they suspended it back in April 2016 stemming from a FTA for a traffic ticket. I understand the suspension but have never been cited for any first offenses. I was pulled over in...maybe Sept 2017 for speeding and the officer let me go with a warning, no mention of any suspension during the stop, either active or otherwise. I’ve tried calling the DMV however they say a notice was mailed and there was no note of it being returned, which she says would be noted. How can I go about obtaining a copy of the alleged first offense ticket driving on suspended that was issued or more information about it? Is it something that I can argue I had no notification about and that I didn’t get a fair chance to fight it in court? What is my best course of action here? Thanks in advance!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Hire an attorney to muster your best defense and force the prosecution to produce their evidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.