Portland, OR asked in Products Liability, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: If someone agrees to watch personal property, can they decide that we "abandoned" it and withhold it for money?

She agreed to watch a horse and horse equipment until we were able to get it back. When we realized we could not get the horse we willingly signed it over to her. Now she is claiming that she now owns all of the horse equipment because it's been on her property but as not done anything with local authorities that is not notified us or give us ample amount of time to get it back. She is now demanding that we pager or we will not get anything back.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You may wish to file an Action To Recover Personal Property in General Sessions Court. If not, you might as well abandon the items, because going there might be charged as Trespass. She might even charge you with Theft of Property if you take something.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.