San Antonio, TX asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Texas

Q: What can I do if the father committed an assault on me and then committed another assault but wants custody of the child

In 2009 the father was charged with burglary of habitation with the intent to commit assault on me. He went to prison and 2016 he filed papers to have me arrested and contempt of court and filed numerous motions to let him see the child, the child was 1 when this happened and had an protective order on him as well for him not to come near me or child, he recently had committed another assault with bodily injury married this year 2019. So now he filed a paper he wants full custody what should I do I have very small children and can’t go to court ages 3 ,1 , and a 2 month old. The child in this case is 12

2 Lawyer Answers

Rahlita D. Thornton

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Protect your child. Hire an attorney ASAP. If you can not afford it look for indigent representation in your area.

Kiele Linroth Pace agrees with this answer

Kiele Linroth Pace

  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If there were a million dollars for you at court, and you just needed to find a way to get yourself to court, would you do it?

You would figure out a way to make it happen. Right? Right! Now ask yourself if retaining custody of the 12-year-old is important enough to make it happen.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.