Corpus Christi, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: What can I do now?

Back on March 12, 2018 I had a court hear for temporary orders with my sister. The orders were for 3 months and granted me visitation. My sister has an attorney who drew up the orders and e-mailed them to me. I didn't get them until July 2018 which exceeded the 3 month order. I received them and read them so I could sign them but they are incorrect so I have not signed them. I've told my sister and she said she talked to her lawyer. I also called her attorney's office who would not talk to me because I'm the opposing party. These orders are well over a year old now and I don't know what I can do about this. I was going to put in a suit to Modify the Parent-Child Relationship but in the courts eyes there is no orders in place because they have not been signed. So what can I do about this? Help please

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Rahlita D. Thornton

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can find out if the orders were signed by the judge 1st. Then proceed to hire an attorney. You would be more at ease when you do. Good luck. If we service the county where your case is pending feel free to reach out to us. 888-343-4529

Victoria Collins

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The answer to your question, "What can I do ..." depends a lot on what county you are in, and what court you are in. Different judges react to situations in different ways, so the only way to know the "best" course of action is to hire a family law attorney in your area with experience and familiarity with the court your case is in. That said, you can try filing a Motion to Compel. This is a motion requesting the court to compel the other side to take action on the court's temporary orders.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.