Forest City, NC asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: How should i prepare for hearing

I father two kids. Both with the same women(never married) The oldest kid lives with my mother who has full court ordered custody.The youngest lives with biological mother.I pay support for the youngest child to the mother but my mother doesn't receive support from either parent. Recently the oldest kid has been temp staying with biological mother.I just received a notice of hearing from biological mother wanting modify a previous pursuant of support by adding my oldest to a previous order .Basically she doesn't have custody but wants money. How should I prepaid for the hearing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If the older child is living with the mother - why do you think she shouldn't get money? Don't want to pay child support, have your mother take the child back or move for a modification of custody yourself to have the older child live with you. Otherwise, pay child support. Your other option is to hire a family law attorney but the bottom line is is the older child is now actually living with mom you likely won't get to hide behind your mother having custody to avoid paying child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.