Lowell, MA asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Massachusetts

Q: No contact question RE: child custody

I’m in the process of filing for separation support, legal separation and child support. My husband of 7 years committed adultery and deserted his family for one of his employees.

We have 2 children. Our oldest is in therapy and is having a very hard time with this situation, as an I.

My husband is making arrangements to move in with this person after a few months of knowing each other. This irrational behavior makes me nervous.

I feel my daughter would not be able to get the help she needs being around that person.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

I live in Massachusetts.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you have counsel the attorney should file a Motion for temporary orders concerning visitation so that this third person/romantic interest not be present during visitation as it is distressing for your child who is in therapy over the break up. You should also seriously consider engaging divorce counsel. Going forward on a separate support petition can be more costly because it does not ultimately result in divorce and to divorce a Complaint for such must be proceeded upon.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.