Greensburg, PA asked in Family Law and Adoption for Ohio

Q: Can my husband adopt my girls?

I have 2 girls by a man I never married they are 10 and 11. He bas been in jail and on drugs very recently. I was told that by his mother. He has not seen talked to or paid child support for them in a year. I am now married and he has been Financially supporting them and me as well as our child together for 6 years now. Can my husband adopt them without the biological dads consent? And is there a paper I can file through the court for abandonment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your husband can file for step parent adoption through the probate court. Check the local court web site for the process or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.