Memphis, TN asked in Banking and Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: Is there anything I can do about this legally or should I have my bank fight this?

I went on a cruise and I was given a $150 credit. On the day I was to debark I had a $150 charge still on my account. It came to light that the $150 credit was posted the account of one of other people I was sharing the stateroom with (who had already been cleared to debark). I used cash the entire trip and only used my card to pay my final balance, which I was told was $61.59. They took that and the remaining $150 even though the receipt I signed was for the $61.59. Basically, instead of amending my charges and reallocating them to the rightful person they took it off of my card under the guise of a security deposit. I was told that even if I didn't swipe my card, the $150 balance would've been sent to collections in my name even though by their own admission it was never supposed to be on my account, but on the other guest's account in the first place. I don't understand why the charges weren't just updated and sent to the other guest instead of stealing it off my card.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: No, the amount of money involved is way too small and the dispute can be solved between you are "the other guest." The law is not designed to solve every little problem that comes your way during this lifetime, The Latin phrase for this rule is "De minimus non curat lex."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.