Omaha, NE asked in Divorce and Civil Litigation for Nebraska

Q: A good friend is having a nasty breakup with a very angry person who won't let her retrieve her and her son's property.

She was living with him and he is refusing to let her retrieve her things. He said he would put it out on his patio for her to get but he hasn't done it. It's been 3 days. He also keeps harassing her via text about the breakup. All my friend wants is to get her clothes, laptop, and her son's clothes and toys (he's 3). She's trying to be civil and amicable but this guy is being a jerk and withholding her property. Is there any legal/civil action she can take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If the parties are married and divorcing, requesting a temporary order in the divorce action could help resolve some of these issues. The party could ask for a specific order allowing her to retrieve her immediately necessary items. When non-married joint tenants split up, there are a number of ways that the parties can obtain the property from the other. Sometimes law enforcement will do a civil stand by while one tenant retrieves their items from the property if it is just a couple of things. Other times a court action is necessary. Depending on the dollar amount, sometimes small claims court is a good way to access the court to receive assistance in obtaining these items.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.