Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Nebraska on
Q: Can I write a demand letter on behalf of a company that has hired me?

Hypothetically, lets say I was hired by an online, virtual-goods company. I have experience in writing demand letters, typically cease-desists, or a request letter. The company that has hired me experiences what are called "Chargebacks", meaning they sell virtual goods (like a rank on a gaming... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 8, 2019

While a company doesn't need an attorney to draft every correspondence that may lead to legal action, you are entering dangerous territory of unauthorized practice of the law if the company is asking you to draft "legal requests" and you are not an attorney. This is especially true if your job... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Nebraska on
Q: Must I always be required by law to show plates on my car that has no commercial use?

I am going to school until March 2020. Then I will move back home in Arizona.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jul 11, 2019

Nebraska law requires a person to register their vehicle, have plates on their vehicle, and pay certain taxes and fees. A party must also carry insurance on their vehicle. For a complete list of requirements, you can find the information on the Nebraska DMV's website. There is no grace period... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Civil Litigation for Nebraska on
Q: A good friend is having a nasty breakup with a very angry person who won't let her retrieve her and her son's property.

She was living with him and he is refusing to let her retrieve her things. He said he would put it out on his patio for her to get but he hasn't done it. It's been 3 days. He also keeps harassing her via text about the breakup. All my friend wants is to get her clothes, laptop, and her son's... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on May 16, 2019

If the parties are married and divorcing, requesting a temporary order in the divorce action could help resolve some of these issues. The party could ask for a specific order allowing her to retrieve her immediately necessary items. When non-married joint tenants split up, there are a number of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for Nebraska on
Q: My nephew was brutally assaulted by a 14 yr old in foster care. Who is responsible criminally & financially?

My nephew endured hundreds of sutures to his face neck and legs from stab wounds. He also had a metal plate placed in his jaw to repair it. This person has admitted & laughed about them doing this on Facebook & to friends. There is an investigation (small town) underway but seems to be going... Read more »

Brendan Michael Kelly
Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Jul 24, 2017

Yes the state can be held accountable for the medical bills and for the action of the kid who assaulted the boy. Get a lawyer and they will be able to help.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Nebraska on
Q: What is the mean of "motion to file additional pleadings and to conduct discovery"
Ryan P. Sullivan
Ryan P. Sullivan answered on May 13, 2011

Typically, the motion means that the other party is requesting permission form the court to file some sort of additional pleading and to begin the discovery process, which includes requests for production, interrogatories, and depositions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.