Knoxville, TN asked in Consumer Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Tennessee

Q: Does a small moving company in GA have a legal right to dispose of our possessions due to unpaid remaining balance owed?

They helped us mive from GA to TN 2 years ago. We made a partial payment to them and they moved most of our stuff. They had to go back and get a few remaining possessions and have held onto them while waiting for us to pay the remaining balance. We've had financial difficulties and have discussed making payments with them. We did make one payment but it ended up being NSF. Niw they're threatening to dispose of our possessions - including some family heirlooms. Do they have a legal right to do this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You will need to talk to a Georgia lawyer. Most States have laws for warehouse liens, etc. After awhile, the Bailee/Landlord runs an ad in the paper, then either sell or own the stored items.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.