Lawrenceville, GA asked in Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: I am a Tanzanian citizen and a green card holder in US. My birth certificate had issues it doesn’t have the correct year

My birth year is 1994 but it was mistakenly put 1988. During the time my mother said she couldn’t fix it cause they wanted so much money which she did not have. She just made me aware of it while am already a permanent resident in US . In few years am going to apply for my citizenship and i wish it had the correct information. But it’s too late cause if i make them aware of this they might deny me citizenship i assume correct?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheri A Benchetrit
Sheri A Benchetrit
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: You can file an I 90 form to replace your green card and change your birth date. You should try to do this before you file for your citizenship. The error should not affect your ability to get your citizenship as long as you make the change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.