West Bridgewater, MA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: What can I do when my son’s father is purposely calling him by the wrong name, after it has been legally changed?

My son is 18 months old. Until this past March, his father refused to see him since I left him in January of 2018 (my son was born October 24, 2017). When my son was born, he was named after his father, but due to his refusal to be involved, in addition to legal issues, I decided to change my son’s name. His father objected, but the judge decided it was in my son’s best interest, still. When my ex received the letter stating the approval of the name change, he went to the court for visitation/custody. Custody is absurd, but he sees my son once a week (when he doesn’t cancel) at a supervised visitation center. I recently found out that he has been calling my son by his birth name, “RJ” instead of his legal name, and only name he knows, “Aron.” I’m livid. He’s putting my son’s development and mental health at risk, I feel like this could confuse him. I want to take action but I have no idea if there’s anything I can do. Please, I need to know what my options are/what to present at court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: The visitation center should provide reports of his conduct to you or your attorney for use in Court for a Motion for potential further curtailment of visits and orders to be obtained concerning the discontinuation of former name use by him .You may need a Modification petition if your case has already gone to Judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.