Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Oklahoma

Q: Do I need an attorney to sue my mother's bank who allowed her second husband to take her money, and close her accounts?

Her 2nd husband made her sign a Prenuptial Agreement. A year ago, my mother granted me, her daughter, Durable power of Attorney for financial management. April 23, 2019, Her 2nd husband filed a Petition to become her guardian and control her assets (breach of the Prenuptial) which I am contesting. My mother left her 2nd husband to live with me on April 23. 2019 after her husband served her with guardianship papers. April 24, 2019 her 2nd husband got an Emergency TEMPORARY guardianship, went to her bank, took her money from bank accounts with her and my name on them, then closed the accounts. He also revoked my POA with his Emergency TEMPORARY guardianship. Do I need an Attorney to sue my mom's bank for not properly protecting my mother's money. The bank already, had on file copies of the Prenuptial Agreement and the POA my mother granted me. He pulled a Cash Grab with the Emergency TEMPORARY guardianship paperwork. The bank never notified me or my mother.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: You definitely do need a lawyer; but not to sue the bank.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.