Weatherford, TX asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can my stepsons mother take him to rehab with her if she has a pending child endangerment charge?

My stepsons mother is currently on probation for felony number eight. In March she caught felonies nine, ten, and eleven. One of these felonies is Child Endangerment. CPS is involved but there is also a custody order from almost 3 years ago stating that she is the custodial parent. She is now entering treatment and states that she is taking him when she has been actively using and absent for the past two months in addition to threatening us and our home. She says if we do not comply she will call the cops but we haven't heard anything from CPS or anyone that states we have to give our son back to her. What is the best route here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Read your last signed order concerning rights and visitation. Your order may be sufficient to cover your situation. CPS’s job does not cover asserting parental rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.