Spring, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: I am the custodial parent and The wife of the my child’s father is becoming hostile.

She yelled, cursed and approached my with confrontation when picking up my child this past Friday. She even called the police on me lying. She also mentioned to me she was trying to build a “case” against me. I don’t know what that means but I no longer want her involved with the pick up and drop off of my child. She is the one who picks her up,not the child’s father. I no longer want her at my home due to safety reasons. I am a stay at home mom of 3 and can’t have that behavior at my home. Can I refuse to release my child to her ? The father or the grandmother is more than welcome to come. Just not her for all intensive purposes. Help me please .

1 Lawyer Answer
Victoria Collins
Victoria Collins
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Whether or not the child's step-mother (or any responsible adult) is allowed to pick-up or drop off should be addressed in your final decree. If it is not, or there is simply not language there does not appear here that there is enough of a substantial change in circumstances that would allow a modification of the parent-child relationship.

Try expressing your concerns to the child's father, and let him know you just don't want your child exposed to that type of behavior, and invite alternative methods of pick-up drop-off so that you don't have to deal with his wife.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.