Vancouver, WA asked in Estate Planning for Washington

Q: my mom is giving my nephew my stepdads house and its not in her name can she do that?

my dads name was the only name the house was in and my mom had to get an attorney to get the house, only the finance company will not put it in her name until its paid off. what happens to it when she dies does it go to her children. because she is trying to give it to my nephew they went down and tried to put it in his name and the finance company said she couldnt give it to him because it wasnt in her name to do that. I am my mothers daughter and dont i have a right to the house before my nephew?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lynnwood, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If your mom did not have a will, you would have a right to it before your nephew.

However, while your mom is alive, she can do more or less whatever she wants with her property. Likewise, she can leave it to whoever she wants in her will. At that point, you would have no right.

As far as who owns it now, the finance company does not control that. They also don't really get to choose whose name the property is in. That whole part seems odd. But, assuming your step-dad had a will, he could leave it to whoever he wanted. If he didn't, at least a portion of it would likely be your mother's. Absent a will leaving some portion of the house to you, you would have no interest other than what you might get eventually from your mother.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.