Easton, MD asked in Elder Law for Maryland

Q: Maryland resident,how difficult is it to change deed on home from jwros to tenants by entirety. Also, the same for ba

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Tenants by the entirety is a special type of ownership for husbands and wives. If a couple bought property before a marriage and later get married, they could in theory re-deed the property from themselves as joint tenants to themselves as husband and wife, tenants by the entirety.

A deed is not difficult but it needs to go through the normal deed recording process which usually involves stamping at 2-4 government offices. Deeds are not usually complex, but a simple mistake can mean serious issues with the title. Structuring to get the benefits of any exemptions from transfer/recordation tax makes it generally beneficial to do this through a lawyer.

While not legal advice or a promise to represent, I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.