Knoxville, TN asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts, Collections and Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: What can i do if Advance financial has sent an account to a law firm who isn’t budging on a settlement offer?

Missed a few payments and then it was written off in 8/2018. About 1-2 weeks later a settlement payment was made for about 1/4 of what was written off. They won’t talk to me and won’t take nor negotiate any payments and will only refer me to the law firm. The law firm is corresponding by email on and it’s not the lawyer but a paralegal I’m assuming. She only responds by email when it’s late (8pm late or 8:30pm late). They don’t answer the phone either during their business hours. She is stating that the lawyer isn’t budging on a settlement but i can’t pay $400 per month. She said because the balance is like $4700 the monthly payments can’t be lower and the pay in full lump sum offer she gave was like $3900. I need help and I want to agree to something that i can realistically do.

3 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You need to start protecting your assets now prior to being sued. Make a written offer to the actual creditor, not the collection firm. If they do not respond, again protect your assets. Do not give out any information about your finances, income, or employment status. If you get sued, file a Notice of Exempt Property with the Court.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

A: You DID receive a counteroffer: $3,700 to repay $4,700 So the best practical advice I have is to find another creditor (or use a credit card) to loan you the $3,700 offer to pay off the $4,700 debt.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Hire a lawyer to negotiate it to you. Start transferring your property into someone else’s name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.