Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: I want to change my employer. I currently hold a valid TN visa, not expired

I read that Mexican nationals who have a valid TN work visa stamped in their passport can change employers by presenting the required letter from the new employer and other supporting evidence directly to the CBP at a Port of Entry. The applicant must pay $50 plus a $6 fee for the new I-94.

What are the documents needed to do this?

New job offer from the new employer? like the one I used to get the visa at the US consulate?

What supporting evidence is required?

Can I go to the Atlanta airport port of entry in order to do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Svetlana Kats
Svetlana Kats
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH

A: For a new employment you need to obtain a new TN visa. Yes you can request visa at the port of entry- just call Atlanta airoport to make sure that they have NAFTA officer to adjudicate your TN What documents to present really depends on the position that you are applying. If your position requires a degree or license-then you should show diploma or professional license. Other basic documents may include letter from the employer, contract, etc. I would recommend you to consult with the attorney who has experience with TN1s prior to applying. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.