Reston, VA asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: I have been charged with Abduction : Deprivation of liberty ,

because my girlfriend got angry after reading a text from another girl and attempted throwing things around in room and breaking stuff in room.I held her hand to stop her and explain her and calm her down. She slapped me and i slapped her in self defense and then she punched me and i had injury mark. After that she left and called cops later on. I as charged with abduction as she told she asked me to leave her multiple times and i dint let her go. I gave statement to cop that i was concerned for her safety and mine and so i held her hand.What could be my possible defense?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You definitely want to consult with a good criminal defense lawyer in the court your case is in. They will be able to review your case and locate any potential defenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.