Wingate, NC asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for North Carolina

Q: We currently have a temporary restraining order against my mother in law. Is there anything we can do to not go to court

Is there anything we can do to get her to leave us alone without going to court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You don't get to eat your cake and still have it. You didn't seem to have any problem making the accusations to have the restraining order temporarily granted. If your mother in law's conduct warrants a restraining order, then you and your husband ought to have the fortitude to publicly stand tall before the man and and everyone else and defend your accusations. If you haven't found a solution to your issues in five years - then this is likely your only remedy, legal remedy anyway. Seems like a shame though, from your own description it sounds like she just wants be part of her families life.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.