Las Vegas, NV asked in Probate for Nevada

Q: I have a Nevada client whose deceased husband's Will names a daughter but the wife can't find her.

Need to publish some kind of notice to the unknown child but this goes beyond my probate expertise and I have no idea what to file and publish.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: There is nothing wrong with a Nevada licensed lawyer asking a probate question on this forum but if you are not a Nevada licensed lawyer you are practicing law without a license in Nevada if you have a Nevada probate client.

If a valid Will makes a gift to a person, unless the Court is satisfied that the Will Beneficiary died before the person whose Will is being probated died, and the Will Beneficiary cannot be located, then the Court will want the Will gift turned over to the Clerk of Court who will turn it over to the State's Unclaimed Property division. If there is a valid Will making a gift to a Beneficiary, the Beneficiary doesn't get cut out just because of some publication.

There are heir search services that offer an initial search for a low price of something like $70, but heir searches can get expensive so the personal representative has to make a judgment as to whether it is worthwhile to do an heir search.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.