Anaheim, CA asked in Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I have a question my landlord lost the house he still wants us to pay him the rent . What can I do he's not the owner ?

2 Lawyer Answers

Theodore Allan Greene

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: When you say he "lost the house" do you mean the bank foreclosed on him? If so then don't pay him. Wait for the bank to contact you most likely through a real estate agent. Unless someone bought the house through a foreclosure sale - then they should contact you. But if the owner/landlord still owns the house you have to pay. And if you owed him some past rent you might have to pay that too. You should sit down with an attorney for a consultation to determine your rights.

Bruce Alexander Minnick and Timothy Denison agree with this answer

Jordan Ash

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Hattiesburg, MS

A: If you mean that the mortgage company foreclosed on the house then do not pay him any more rent. You may want to be sure that is what happened before you stop paying though. If the mortgage company did foreclose then they will be contacting you about moving out. I advise my clients in those situations to be looking now for a new place to go. You don't want the mortgage company to demand that you move out quick and you don't have a place to go.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.